Sunday, April 10, 2011

Backstory

Recently, I started a new novel and as usual I was debating about how much backstory to include. I didn't want to dump too much information in the beginning. Backstory slows down a story. After all, it happened in the past and as a reader and a writer, I'm interested in what is happening at the present time. That means I frequently write the background and then deleted the first two or three chapters after I've finished the book. So, how do I handle backstory? In my opinion, backstory should be put into a story in bits and pieces at appropriate times. It can be handled through dialogue, internal monologue, or from another character's observation, and should be inserted only as needed to help the reader follow the plot. Withholding background can add suspense to a story and keep the reader interested and reading to find out what the mystery is whether it be a motivation or a conflict. As a writer, I don't want my backstory to become exposition. It can get in the way of making characters believable. Inserting the correct amount of background and at the right time is a challenge for me.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I agree. Backstory is important in a story, but needs not to be an information dump or too much in any given scene. I always struggle knowing how much backstory to put in a scene. Mary mlguida.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to use the backstory to add suspense as the story slowly unfolds. Even though, I try not to dump it, I tend to delete a whole chunk in the beginning, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about backstory. I need to know what the backstory to understand what motivates the characters, but think it best to give it to readers in small doses. After all, it's that wondering that keeps them turning pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely spot on, Mary. Too much backstory throws the reader out of the main story and slows the action. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, your thoughts on backstory came at a good time for me. I'm writing a sequel and have wrestled with this topic, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I totally agree. Readers want action and tension on every page. Super post!

    ReplyDelete